How to Help Stop the Tax Scam
Not yet a member of the 1%? Then you should probably keep reading.
The Senate voted in the wee hours of Saturday morning to pass what it charitably calls "tax reform", which loosely translates to a massive transfer of wealth from the poor and middle class to the rich.
The bill now goes to the House of Representatives to be "reconciled". If that happens, it will be signed into law by our billionaire-in-chief.
According to Americans for Tax Fairness, the Senate bill would:
- Give 60% of the tax cuts to the richest 1% (woohoo!)
- Raise taxes on 87 million middle class families.
- Strip 13 million Americans of their health insurance.
- Cut Medicare by $400 billion over 10 years.
- Add $1 trillion to the national debt.
- Reduce the popular state and local tax deductions used by millions of middle class families.
- Kill jobs by slashing taxes on offshore profits.
- Hand a $500 billion tax break to multinational corporations.
- Give a big tax break to Donald Trump.
- Open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.
Otherwise the bill is great for regular people!
How to help stop the tax scam
Check out Indivisible's quick read on the difference between the Senate and House bills (including the repeal of the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate), and where things go from here.
Contact your member of the House of Representatives at 202.224.3121 to urge them not to vote for the tax scam.
Mad enough that you'd make a trip to Washington DC? Join the protest actions tomorrow (Tuesday, December 5).